Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: May 2005:
Re: Crashes when using Tk.Blinkenlights

To: Per Jonsson <poj+offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Crashes when using Tk.Blinkenlights
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 15:24:04 -0500

On Sun, Feb 13, 2005 at 11:19:59AM +0100, Per Jonsson wrote:
> I have not managed to locate the problem any closer, but I see no
> crashes when I use Tk.VerboseUI.

Hi Per,

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.

I have heard occasional reports of unusual crashes with the Tk
interfaces.  OfflineIMAP is 100% pure Python, so any segfault would be
indicitive of a bug in Tkinter, the Python Tk toolkit.  Unfortunately,
debugging problems in Tkinter is quite the challenge.  So if you, or
anyone else, happens to see this again, here are some helpful data
points to note:

* Any pattern to the behavior?  For instance, does it happen immediately
  after starting a sync, during a sync, when clicking a button?

* Save off any core file and get what you can from it with gdb.  A
  debugging version of Python may help.

* Do you get the behavior if you run OfflineIMAP with -1?

* Which UIs trigger the problem?

* Can you reproduce the problem at will?

* When sending in information here or to the Python/Tkinter folks,
  please note all of the following: operating system name and version,
  kernel version, Python version, Python source (ie, compiled it
  yourself, from your OS distro, etc), Tk version, OfflineIMAP version.