Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: January 2005:
Re: 3 way sync?

To: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: 3 way sync?
From: Simon Guest <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:49:31 +0000

At Thu, 27 Jan 2005 12:39:26 -0600,
John Goerzen wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 05:33:46PM +0000, Simon Guest wrote:
> > Yes, I have seen these bad things.  My motivation was for when I had a
> > secure connection from laptop to desktop, and from desktop to server,
> > but not from laptop to server.  Trying to use the desktop as a staging
> > post doesn't seem to work!
>
> It would if you only ever synced your laptop to your desktop.
>
> The problem is that you are sometimes syncing the laptop to the server.
> You are effectively introducing two different sets of UIDs into the
> system, and looping back and forth with them.  I suspect you saw lots of
> duplicated mails :-)
>
> You might also find it useful to establish a ssh session to the desktop,
> if that's secure.  But if you're on a secure link to the desktop, and
> it's on a secure link to the server, shouldn't your laptop already have
> a secure link to the server?

You make some good points, and I now think I understand the problem.

As to your last point, my desktop to server link is only secure for a
certain definition of secure.  Actually, it's insecure, plain IMAP
over the public internet, but I happen to know the route it takes goes
through only nodes which I trust.  My server doesn't support IMAP over
SSL, nor can I tunnel over ssh.  So I'm slightly constrained.

Thanks for your input.

cheers,
Simon

PS: What I have actually decided upon is to keep a separation on the
laptop of desktop from server, by means of folder prefixes.  So I have
some duplication on the laptop, offlineimap is happy, and so am I.
(Of course, I'd be happier if the sysadmin of the server would support
SSL or ssh.)