Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: January 2005:
Re: 3 way sync?

To: Simon Guest <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: 3 way sync?
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 12:39:26 -0600

On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 05:33:46PM +0000, Simon Guest wrote:
> Yes, I have seen these bad things.  My motivation was for when I had a
> secure connection from laptop to desktop, and from desktop to server,
> but not from laptop to server.  Trying to use the desktop as a staging
> post doesn't seem to work!

It would if you only ever synced your laptop to your desktop.

The problem is that you are sometimes syncing the laptop to the server.
You are effectively introducing two different sets of UIDs into the
system, and looping back and forth with them.  I suspect you saw lots of
duplicated mails :-)

You might also find it useful to establish a ssh session to the desktop,
if that's secure.  But if you're on a secure link to the desktop, and
it's on a secure link to the server, shouldn't your laptop already have
a secure link to the server?