Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: January 2005:
Re: 3 way sync?

To: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Simon Guest <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: 3 way sync?
From: Simon Guest <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 17:33:46 +0000

At Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:26:31 -0600,
John Goerzen wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 09:51:08AM +0000, Simon Guest wrote:
> > I'm losing email trying to do a 3-way mail sync.  However, I'm not
> > sure that what I'm trying to do is supported by offlineimap, so here
> > goes ...
>
> > I have a 3 machines:
>
> I have a similar setup...  a server, and then three workstations that I
> use regularly, including one laptop.
>
> > I run offlineimap on the laptop, sync'ing mail from the desktop into
>
> Here's the problem, I think.  If you just point both your laptop and
> your desktop to sync directly from the server, you should have no
> trouble.

Yes indeed - I have done this previously, and it works nicely.

> I would certainly not advise syncing a single folder with multiple
> servers.  I've never tried that, but I can't imagine anything but bad
> things happening :-)

Yes, I have seen these bad things.  My motivation was for when I had a
secure connection from laptop to desktop, and from desktop to server,
but not from laptop to server.  Trying to use the desktop as a staging
post doesn't seem to work!

> It is fine to sync multiple clients with the single server, though.

I'll fall back to this, then.

cheers,
Simon