Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: March 2004:
Re: UID's, again, but with a twist :-)

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: UID's, again, but with a twist :-)
From: Magnus Therning <magnus-work@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 12:40:41 +0100

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 08:15:18AM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
>On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 11:45:31AM +0100, Magnus Therning wrote:
>> >One other possibility is that something on the client side is
>> >destroying OfflineIMAP's UID validity file -- but that is quite
>> >unlikely.
>>
>> What would the expected behaviour be of modifying the UID as cached by
>> offlineimap?
>
>It should cause OfflineIMAP to fail to sync that box on every attempt.
>
>> As you can see the UID it got changed (the values were swapped).
>
>I have never seen that before.  It's extremely odd.  I use OfflineIMAP
>with Courier every day and haven't had any problem with it...
Cool!

I have the same problem in both places where I tried using offlineimap.
Both servers run courier-imap (Debian stable), and both clients run
offlineimap 4.0.2 (Debian unstable).

>You might try completely removing ~/.offlineimap.  Then run the program
>with offlineimap -d imap -1 and log that output.  Maybe it will show
>something useful.  If, as I suspect, the server is actually handing out
>different UIDs each time, then you'll have to pursue the problem with
>Courier -- OfflineIMAP can't do anything reliably in that situation.

I am giving up. I don't need this enough to justify tracking down the
problem. Just too bad that mutt's IMAP support sucks so much...

/M

Magnus Therning                 Philips Research Laboratories Eindhoven
Phone: +31 40 2745179           (OpenPGP: 0x4FBB2C40)

Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what
nobody has thought.
     -- Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

-- File: signature.asc
-- Desc: Digital signature