Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: February 2004:
I borked myself, ugh

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: I borked myself, ugh
From: Rob Walker <rob@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 19:32:28 -0800

I am migrating from one machine to the next, and I made a big mistake.

I have three IMAPS servers I pull from, and nnmaildir folders on this
side, under ~/mail/<accountname>.  Due to some chain of events I
cannot now reconstruct in my head, I have ~/mail.backup, 419M, 189623
files, as well as ~/mail, 254M and 28793 files.  I realize that there
are going to be some duplicate emails, and that's okay.  The reason I
have ~/mail.backup is because after doing some sort of
somethingorother (including invoking offlineimap) I saw a bunch of red
message IDs which was nuking a ton of emails on one of my mail
servers, I looked at that /var/mail/rob file, and it was very small.

I have a new ~/mail directory because I moved ~mail to ~mail.backup
and then nuked ~/.offlineimap and then let offlineimap re-download all
of my emails.

I realize that I will probably have duplicates of a ton of email, and
that's okay.  What I am worried about is how to get the resulting
nnmaildir directories back on my IMAP servers where they belong.

Is this possible?  Can I tell offlineimap "sync them up, move and copy
emails all over the joint, but don't delete any of them" ??

thanks,
rob