Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: July 2003:
Re: Wrapping up the meta question

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Wrapping up the meta question
From: "Randy Orrison" <randy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 22:24:39 +0100 (BST)

John,

As a user who depends on IMAP for the way I deal with my email, I'll just
drop in my small contribution.

> I appreciate the useful feedback about coding contributions as well.
> Due to the volume of bug reports lately, I had been under the impression
> that most OfflineIMAP users were not really happy with the state of it,
> and was looking for some people to help out.  My new impression (correct
> me if I'm wrong) is that most people actually *are* happy with it, and
> thus don't see any need to fix anything.

There's only one thing about offlineimap that I don't like; the bug that
I've reported (creating 0 byte files in my Maildir).  I realize how
difficult it is to track down a bug that doesn't happen to you, so I'm not
complaining that it's not fixed, and I'm just living with it for now.  If
I ever get some free time (after we've moved into our new house, perhaps)
I'll try to learn enough Python to track it down myself.  (Actually, I've
just noticed that I haven't got 4.0 installed yet, since I'm tracking
Debian testing instead of unstable; I'll try that and see if it goes
away.)

For the most part, though, I am very happy with offlineimap, and am quiet
only because I don't have any complaints.

As to the other issues, my programming background is C and C++; if you
re-wrote in one of those languages I'd be in a much better position to
help, but I understand why you don't want to.  I don't use the GUI at all,
so I don't mind what you do with it (I run it in the background, logging
to a file, and occasionally look at the file).

The main thing that I have to say about offlineimap and your work on it
is: Thank-you, very much!

Randy