Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: July 2003:
Wrapping up the meta question

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Wrapping up the meta question
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 21:53:46 -0500

This is not an attempt to cut off the discussion, but rather an attempt to
summarize.

Nobody had anything positive to say about Java (that's not very surprising
<g>), and one person mentioned Twisted.  I like the Twisted architecture and
I'm going to spend some time playing with it, and will probably set up an
OfflineIMAP branch to experiment with it in the near future.  If Twisted
doesn't pan out, I may have to revisit that issue, but let's hope not.

I appreciate the useful feedback about coding contributions as well.  Due to
the volume of bug reports lately, I had been under the impression that most
OfflineIMAP users were not really happy with the state of it, and was
looking for some people to help out.  My new impression (correct me if I'm
wrong) is that most people actually *are* happy with it, and thus don't see
any need to fix anything.  Which is fine by me.  (Better, in fact.)  I
suppose I don't send in as many letters of thanks to Guido as I send in bug
reports, either :-)

I will therefore proceed with the attitude that "if you say OfflineIMAP is
crap, you better be prepared to back it up with a patch" :-)

About the IMAP library rewrite: if Twisted's library does what I need, I'll
abandon that.  If it doesn't, I'll see if I can fix it before starting on my
own.  I can't imagine that Twisted's library can be any worse than
imaplib.py :-)

There is a parser present already.  If any of you want to take that off into
your own project, you can find it at:

   http://svn.complete.org/offlineimap/imaplib/head/

That is a Subversionable URL too.