Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: April 2003:
Re: offlineimap / uw-imapd / mutt

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: offlineimap / uw-imapd / mutt
From: Sam Clegg <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 09:57:22 +0100

On Sat, Apr 19, 2003 at 08:12:35AM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> Courier does require Maildirs on the server.  However, procmail can deliver
> directly to Maildirs, and mutt can read them, so it shouldn't be a big
> problem.
OK, i'm having some success testing courier.  I've converted all my
folders for Maildirs on a test server.  mutt can read them put it
doesn't the '.' separator as folder separator which is slightly
annoying.  When logged into the server directly would you recommend
accessing mail with mutt's imap feature (even when use courier)?
The other thing I find slightly strange is that all my folder appear
under "Inbox".  This seems to be the way courier works but it doesn't
seem very logical to see:

-> server
     -> Inbox
         -> subfolder
         -> etc...

This is how evolution and mozilla-cvs display by imap folders.
Logically I don't want my folders to be inside my Inbox, but rather
alongside it... oh well... anyone got any clues about this?

Lastly, and this is really nitpicking (sorry), when I use mutt on a
true folder hierachy (rather that a flat "." seperated one) I can
browse my folders and 'mailboxes' seperatetly (tab complete for
folder... anther tab for mailboxes).  'mailboxes' being special folders
that procmail puts incomming mail into.  Most of my folders aren't
'mailboxes' but if I use offlineimaps mbnames feature this is not the
case.  Maybe the bast solution if to convert "." to "/" and remove
the "INBOX" prefix?

> If you do use Courier, bump up the MAXPERIP value in your config file.
> OfflineIMAP likes to open many connections to the server (if you tell it to
> with maxconnections), and Courier will limit this by default, which will
> interfere with OfflineIMAP.

I have increase max connections and MAXPERIP connections and I can now
sync with 20+ symultanious connections.  However if the limit is
exceeded offlineimap dies quite a horrible death.  Would it be
possible, if say the 18th connection is refused for one reason or
another, for the other ones to continue, with perhaps just a warning
message.

Its seems quite conceivable with many imap users (specifically
offlineimap!) that this limit could be reached under normal operation.
MAXPERIP connections could be reached if several people behind the
same firewall all use offlineimap for instance.

cheers,
--
sam clegg
:: sam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx :: http://superduper.net/ :: PGP : D91EE369

--
The cost of the first 25 Tomahawk Missiles launched in the first hour of the
first day in the war with Iraq was more than fifty times the annual HUD budget