Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: January 2003:
OfflineIMAP 3.99.7 released

To: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: OfflineIMAP 3.99.7 released
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 19:56:12 -0600

Hello,

OfflineIMAP 3.99.7 is ready.  Find it at the usual place,
http://quux.org/devel/offlineimap.  I'll let the changelog speak for itself
below.

offlineimap (3.99.7) unstable; urgency=low

  * This is a 4.0 TRACK release, and may be unstable or in flux!
  * Converted entire manual to DocBook SGML so it will be easier to
    expand in the future.  The HTML manual, also, looks far nicer now
    than it did before.
  * Fixed the Tk.VerboseUI -- small, silly error introduced in 3.99.6.
  * Multiple performance and reliability enhancements to syncing
    algorithms, as described below.
  * The process of uploading new messages from local folders to the IMAP
    server was not internally multi-threaded previously.  Now it is.
    This means that if you have a single folder with lots of new messages
    locally, the processing time should be dramatically sped up.  Moreover,
    the process should be more reliable because we do not risk connections
    going dead.
  * The process of synchronizing flags has been overhauled and optimized.
    Previously, for each message where a flag (seen, replied, etc.) was
    changed, we'd issue a separate command to the IMAP server to adjust
    things.  Now, we issue one command for each flag.  In other words,
    instead of seing 45 messages saying something like "Adding flag S to
    message 1421", you now see one message saying "Adding flag S to 45
    messages" -- and the interaction with the IMAP server may well be
    almost 45 times faster on this.  We will now issue at most four
    commands per flag operation (add or remove) per folder, where before,
    we may have issued as many as two per message.  Should be a
    large speedup in most cases, but a small slowdown in a few.
  * Potentially increased the reliability of writing files to the Maildir.