Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: August 2002:
Re: OfflineIMAP gives DELETE warnings for filtered-out folders.

To: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: OfflineIMAP gives DELETE warnings for filtered-out folders.
From: Martijn Pieters <mj@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 11:32:32 -0400

On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 10:25:30AM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> The design of OfflineIMAP currently assumes that each account has a unique
> localfolders specification.  The problem, I believe, is that your setup is
> violating that assumption.
>
> Perhaps there are ways to solve this other than using a separate account
> pointing to the same directory.  What is the problem that caused you to set
> up the separate accounts in the first place?  Maybe we can fix that problem
> instead.

Speed. The archives are huge (one has 22000+ messages), and including these
folders in the sync significantly slow down my regular mail sync. The
archives don't recive mail outside of me moving files to them manually,
which doesn't happen often. I run the Archives account once a day from a
cron job.

My setup allows me to have the same structure as on the server and still
have seperate accounts.

> Adjusting OfflineIMAP to no longer assume that a localfolders path is unique
> to a specific account introduces significant complexity all over the place.
> I'm not ready to add that complexity right now (I'm not sure if I ever will
> be <g>), but if someone cares to prepare a patch to do it right, I'd be
> happy to consider it.

Note that the archives account uses ~/IMAP/Archives, while the main, default
account uses ~/IMAP, so they are unique. It is just that the one account is
nested inside the other. Maybe a marker in directories
(.offlineimap_accountroot or something) would work here?

--
Martijn Pieters