Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: April 2008:
[linux-help] Digital TV converter box

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Digital TV converter box
From: Bruce Bales <bbales@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 11:01:59 -0500

Last night at the ACLUG meeting, we discussed my new TV converter box and I
learned that the rabbit ears antenna was not right.  This morning I changed
to a 7-1/2 inch UHF loop.  Improvement was minimal and channel 8 still did
not get found by the scan.

I added an Archer VHF/UHF amplifier (something I must have needed more than
ten years ago) and there it was -- the three channel 8 signals and no tearing
of channel 12.  Now the only problem is the mount for the antenna.
Duct-taping it to a can of soup was vetoed by my wife.  The mechanical part
is always the hardest part.

By the way, the RCA DTA800 converter ($49.95 at Walmart) has a signal strength
mode, which makes aiming the antenna easier.  The amplifier increased the
signal strength from low-30s to low-60s on a scale of 0 - 100.

bruce