Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: November 2005:
[linux-help] Re: Problem

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Problem
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 15:02:32 -0600

On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 10:31 -0600, Wayne White wrote:
> I'm having problems with a computer and thought that there might
> be someone on the list that had some thoughts on a solution.
>
> Monday, last week, I got to work and my computer was off. I tried
> to turn it on and nothing happened. I was able to determine that
> the power cord had power at the plug to the power supply.
>
> When the power button on the computer was pressed, nothing
> happened at all. No lights, no whirring, no beeps.
>
> The first thing that I tried was swapping out the power supply for
> one I know to be good. Same result, nothing happens when power
> button pushed.
>
> That made me think that the motherboard must have fried. So, I
> swapped in a good motherboard. While the case was open, I
> checked the switch on the front panel and had continuity when
> it was pressed. Still nothing doing.
>
> I'm at loss as to what else might be causing this computer to act
> as if it were getting no power at all when I try to start it up.
>
> Any ideas?

lets see if I have this correct.
1.  replaced power supply
2.  replaced mobo
3.  You said you checked the line voltage OK, but did not say what it
is. (Should be approximately 115vac)  Make sure you check it at the
computer end of the cord.

after all that it still will not power on.
Hmmmmmmm.

A.  Have you tried with a small tool to momentarily jump the power
switch pins on the mobo?  That simulates a switch press and will remove
the switch and wire from the picture.

B.  Did you use the same cpu and memory on the newly installed mobo?  If
so there is another bit of hardware to test. The system will not even
attempt to power on with a failed cpu. Some mobos will not try to power
on if the cpu fan is not functional.

C.  Did you test power on with all unnecessary items disconnected?  Disk
drives, adapters, etc are not required for testing power-on problems.
Try disconnecting all cables (power, signal, etc) from the disk drives
and removing any adapters not necessary for power on. Probably video is
the only adapter needed. A single load that is too high can prevent
power on.