Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: June 2005:
[linux-help] Re: card reader

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: card reader
From: Thomas Wallis <wallis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 16:51:08 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005, ironrose wrote:

> That is very nice to know since I can add some tunes to a thumb drive
> and take to work.  I can listen to music as long as the volume is low
> enough that the customer is unable to hear any loud of offensive music.
> I am not a fan of loud or offensive music anyways.  ~Anne
>
> Jeff Vian wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 2005-06-13 at 14:54 -0500, bbales wrote:
> >

> >>The /sbin/fdisk -l /dev/sda worked with Fedora core 3, but RH-9 returns
> >>"Unable to read."  Sure hate the thought of upgrading, but it looks like
> >>it may be time.
> >>
> >>Actually, Fedora is ahead of this.  When the usb card reader is plugged in,
> >>a new entry pops up in /etc/fstab called /media/usbdisk which can be
> >>mounted and used like a hard drive.
> >>bruce

        RedHat 9 (does it use Linux 2.4 (I think it does)) can probably be
made to work somewhat with a custom 2.4 kernel.  You would have to play
with it a lot, and use the newest 2.4 kernel, but I think it could be
done.  You would probably have to mount and dismount the pen drive by
hand.  You would want to compile in SCSI emulation as well as any USB mass
storage support you could find.  My Debian 3.0/2.4 system "sees" my pen
drive as a SCSI device, but I need to be root to mount/umount it.  I could
fix this with appropriate entries in /etc/fstab, but I use it so
infrequently it doesn't bother me much.   I use SUSE 9.3 at home.  Works
fine, without root.

                                T W

> >I might add that the Fedora hotplug manager (in FC3) automatically
> >mounts usb media as soon as it is recognized and entries made.  If you
> >are using X it then pops up on the desktop.

> >visit http://www.complete.org/cgi-bin/listargate-aclug.cgi

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed here are my own and not those of WSU.

EMAIL address:  wallis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx