Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: June 2005:
[linux-help] Re: Debian Problem with mouse

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Debian Problem with mouse
From: "Jonathan Hall" <flimzy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 20:20:05 -0500

What device does your XF86Config-4 file point to for the mouse?  Should
probably be /dev/ttyS0 for a serial mouse, possibly /dev/ttyS1 (S2 and S3
are also possibilities, but pretty unlikely on a semi-modern computer).

If you absolutely cannot get it to work, you may have better luck using gpm
and a repeating protocol.  In that scenario, you'll tell gpm to use
/dev/ttyS0 (or similar), then tell it to repeat.  Then X will use
/dev/gpmdata.  (What this does is GPM runs the mouse driver, then 'repeats'
all the mouse events to the /dev/gpmdata for X to receive as well).  In some
cases this can be the best setup anyway (particularly with oddball mice that
X doesn't like very well, but gpm works fine with).

-- Jonathan