Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: June 2005:
[linux-help] Re: card reader

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: card reader
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 22:28:50 -0500

On Sat, 2005-06-11 at 20:03 -0500, bbales wrote:
> I bought another card reader for my smart media (camera) cards.  Red hat 9
> recognizes it, but I can't mount it.  Tried /dev/sd[a-f][1-7]  and get
> "not a valid block device"
>
> Several files seem to recognize the card reader and /var/log/messages
> reacts to plugging and unplugging the usb cable.  /var/log/messages sees
> it on sda which I take to mean indicate /dev/sda, but nothing works.
>
> usb is many times faster than serial when it works.  Any suggestions will
> be appreciated.
> bruce

look at dmesg after you connect it.  It _should_ show as something like
sda1.  If it is not showing that way, (with the partition number) then
it did not properly get recognized.

However, you should be aware that the Fedora releases are much better at
recognizing almost all USB card readers and cards than RH9 is.  Has been
a lot of progress in just a few years.

BTW,  Fedora Core 4 is due out next week.