Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: February 2005:
[linux-help] Re: SMTP help

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: SMTP help
From: "David Wibowo" <dxwibowo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 10:35:48 -0600

I found what being used it use postfix

$ telnet myserver1 25
Trying xx.x.xxx.xxx...
Connected to myserver1.com (xx.x.xxx.xx).
Escape character is '^]'.
220 myserver1.com ESMTP Postfix

note the IP and the name has been changed.

here the option I see in the main.cf file I only include what might be
related to this.

-- begin main.cf ----------------------
mailbox_transport = virtual

virtual_alias_maps = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_alias_maps.cf
virtual_gid_maps = static:5000
virtual_mailbox_base = /var/mail/vhostmail
virtual_mailbox_domains = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_domains_maps.cf
virtual_mailbox_limit = 51200000
virtual_mailbox_maps = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf
virtual_minimum_uid = 5000
virtual_transport = virtual
virtual_uid_maps = static:5000
# Additional for quota support
virtual_create_maildirsize = yes
virtual_mailbox_extended = yes
virtual_mailbox_limit_maps =
mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_limit_maps.cf
virtual_mailbox_limit_override = yes
virtual_maildir_limit_message = Sorry, the user's maildir has overdrawn his
diskspace quota, please try again later.
virtual_overquota_bounce = yes

#spam etc
broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
  permit_mynetworks,
  permit_sasl_authenticated,
#  reject_non_fqdn_hostname,
  reject_non_fqdn_sender,
  reject_non_fqdn_recipient,
  reject_unauth_destination,
  reject_unauth_pipelining,
  reject_invalid_hostname,
  reject_rbl_client opm.blitzed.org,
  reject_rbl_client list.dsbl.org,
  reject_rbl_client bl.spamcop.net,
  reject_rbl_client sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_sasl_local_domain = $myhostname

-- end main.cf ---------------------------
I see my email account in /var/spool/vhostmail/

I check email using POP3 with MS outlook

Any help please...

Thanks in advance

David Wibowo
dxwibowo@xxxxxxxxxxx

----Original Message Follows----
On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 05:02:36PM -0600, David Wibowo wrote:

 > Hi, I'm a new in linux world
 >
 > I do't know much about SMTP however my job required me to do somthing
with
 > it.
 >
 > I was required to modify so smtp only able to listen conndtion base of
the
 > IP number.
 > in other word if the address is from n.n.n.0 to n.n.n.255 then alow this
 > connection to the smtp.
 >
 > just a clue what we want is set up so postini (email spam filter) able to
 > send email but not other.
 >
 > any help will be great
 > thanks

I think the first question is, what SMTP software are you using?
sendmail, postfix, qmail, exim, etc, etc.

Steve