Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: April 2004:
[linux-help] Re: Making Windoz XP play nice with linux 9.0

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Making Windoz XP play nice with linux 9.0
From: "Dustin Decker" <dustind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 06:56:08 -0500

Mike,
In my experience, there is a method to the madness.  Once I find something
that works, I tend to stick to it.  In the dual-boot arena, I've found
installing Windows first makes all the difference.  I tend to stay as modern
as I can, so I boot from a Windows XP Pro cd, allow it to "own the machine"
so to speak, but only partition the first half of the drive.  I spend time
getting Windows setup just the way I like it, and shoot an image with Ghost
to a DVD for safe keeping.  (Insert rant about modular systems which keep
all data independent of the OS for backups etc. here.)

Once this is done, I boot from my Linux media.  In my case, I am still one
of those Red Hat users (Yeah, I know - friends don't let friends run redhat,
but I've been a user from the 4.x days [Thanks Jeffery] and it works fine
for me.)  I prefer Fedora Core release 1 for my laptop, and the only
significant hoop is installing nVidia drivers for my graphics.

I would suggest making use of Grub as your boot loader.  I rarely (never?)
use commercial products such as Partition Magic or the like to accomplish my
work.  I do it all myself, and find I'm a great deal happier for it.

What does all of this mean?  Well - in your shoes (and take this with the
obligatory grain of salt) I would be inclined to backup whatever data I want
to keep, and then blow the whole machine away.  Time consuming?  Yes.
Obnoxious?  You bet.  Likely to fix your problem, and teach you more along
the way?  YMMV.

Hope this helps out.

Dustin Decker