Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: November 2003:
[linux-help] Problem Booting Kernel 2.6.0

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Problem Booting Kernel 2.6.0
From: "Justin Hamm" <jhamm@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 11:18:33 -0700

Hello,

I have come across a problem (others might have had similar probs) in
relation to kernel 2.6.0. I'm running LILO 22.5.8 with Debian unstable
with security updates, kernel 2.6.0test6.

I have a problem booting to 2.6.0, here is the error I receive:

-- snip --
VFS: Cannot open root device "1602" or unknown-block(22,2)
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(22,2)
-- snip --

Here is my lilo.conf file:

-- snip --
lba32
boot=/dev/had
root=/dev/hdc2
install=/boot/boot-menu.b
map=/boot/map
delay=20
prompt
timeout=150
vga=normal
default=Linux

image=/vmlinuz
        label=Linux
        read-only

image=/vmlinuz.old
        label=LinuxOLD
        read-only
        optional

other=/dev/hda1
        label="WinXP(hda1)"
-- snip --

I have gone in and tried other suggestions from other lists.. such as
adding a line append="root=/dev/hdc2" which had no effect, Also tried
running root=1602 just for giggles but it also had no effect (as I
didn't think it would.. but I ran outta options).

Has anyone else experienced this problem when switching to 2.6.0?

If anyone needs additional information, I'll be happy to provide it.

Also, After I run /sbin/lilo to update any changes made, it keeps giving
me: "Warning: The boot sector and map file are on different disks."
Which I'm pretty sure I understand as a harmless warning, most dualboot
systems could result in the same if lilo wasn't installed on the Linux
partition... So I guess ignore that..

Thank you!
Justin