Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: February 2003:
[linux-help] Re: Linux-friendly digital camera?

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Linux-friendly digital camera?
From: Michael Osten <mosten@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 07 Feb 2003 22:37:48 -0600

On Fri, 2003-02-07 at 22:33, Ann Hughes wrote:

> I recently got a Canon A40, which I really like. I spent a few days trying
> to compile and install gphoto for it - it is supposed to be supported -
> and finally bought a SanDisk card reader which works great in Linux.
> I set it up in about 5 minutes.  It transfers photos about three times as
> fast as my son's Windows 98 machine or my other son's new Mac laptop. It
> also doesn't run down the batteries on my camera.
>
> I'd sure recommend a card reader.
>
> Good luck

Most of the USB cameras that are made fall under the USB storage device
driver for Linux.  Linux simply sees the camera as a USB hard drive, and
is mounted to a mount point like a zip drive or such.

A google search on "digital camera" "usb-storage" is enlightening.

-------
Michael Osten
www.bleepyou.com