Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: February 2003:
[linux-help] Re: Linux-friendly digital camera?

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Linux-friendly digital camera?
From: bruce <bbales@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 14:33:17 -0600

On Friday 07 February 2003 10:34 am, you wrote:
> Is there such a thing as a Linux-friendly digital camera? One
> that will download its pictures straight into a Linux box?

I have an olympus D-400 Zoom, about three years old.  Gphoto2
works quite well with it.  Downloads faster than it did with
windows 98.  Downloads through the second serial port.  Took a
while to get it set up and it is just a command line thing, but
with cut-and-paste it suits me fine.

Gphoto2 also has a front-end available called gtkam or
something lke that, but I have never taken time to find and
install it.

I received a Pro-media usb smart media card reader six months
ago, but have never gotten Linux to recognize it, so I just
leave the media in the camera and download with gphoto2.

I think Olympus is still selling some version similar to the
D-400; would probably work the same.

Check out gphoto2 on the web http://gphoto.sourceforge.net/
They claim they support over 300 camera.
bruce