Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: September 2002:
[linux-help] sound problems

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] sound problems
From: "J.D. McNolty" <lmcnolty@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 17:45:23 -0500

I have installed Debian 3.0 (Woody I believe it is called) and
everything seems to work fine except my sound?!?!?
My sound card is a Hi-Val PCI 338  the chipset seems to be Aureal
Vortex2 Au8830 according to the hi-val website.  I have searched the web
for help and have had no success.
When I boot to KDE I receive an error message saying :
Sound Server Informational Message
Error while initializing sound driver.
device/dev/dsp can't be opened (no such device)
The sound server will continue, using the null output device

When I look in the KDE control panel -> information ->pci this is the
info for the sound card
One of the listings is for my sound card.
00:0d.0 Multimedia Audio Controller: Aureal semiconductor Vortex 1 (rev. 02)
Subsystem: Aureal simiconductor AU8820 Vortex digital audio processor.
Flags: busmaster,medium devsel, latency 64, irq 11
Memory at ed020000 (32 bit, non-prefetchable)
I/0 ports at d400
I/0 ports a d800
Capibilities:[dc power managment ver. 1]

So I know the system see's the sound card so I'm assuming that it's a
driver problem???
I'm not sure how to correct this problem any help would be greatly
appreicated.

Thank you for your time.
J.D. McNolty