Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: September 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Mail Server

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Mail Server
From: "Hareesh Haridas" <Hareesh.Haridas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 13:35:46 +0530

When ever I send an e-mail from my Linux Mail server
recipient will get my public IP as well as my internal
ip of my mail server.
I would like to know this is pretty standard or is
there any way to hide my internal IP from displaying.
--

this seems to be the case with most sites running unix/linux mail
servers. my experience at university was also the same (correct me for

if you are using an internal mail server to relay to your external mail
server this is definitely the case, as the mail headers will contain the
address of the internal server (which is private).=20
i have not seen this with MS exchange yet - but sadly i do not know why.
i am still searching for a way to stop this from happening too :)

regards,
hareesh.