Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: September 2002:
[linux-help] samba printing

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] samba printing
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2002 00:42:30 -0500

I seem to have a little trouble setting up samba to allow my windows pc
to print to the printer on linux.

So far I have tried everything I have found in the samba distribution
and on a google search to no avail.

I am running RedHat 7.3, and have samba installed and active.
The printer on this machine works well, and I have been able to print
from linux on another server to this one with no problem.

PROBLEM
 From the windows workstation I can browse the workgroup and see the
Linux host, but when I try to configure the shared printer or just
browse for shares available on that host it askes for a password and
will not authenticate.

CONFIGURATION
On the linux server I have a user with the same name as I have logged
into the Windows box, and have set the password for that user
appropriately.

Using "smbclient -L hostname" I can see all the printers defined as
shares from the Linux machine.
I have one for local printing, one as a raw spool for use in printing
from Windows, and another that is a network printer on a different Linux
host.

QUESTION
Does anyone have any tips or pointers that will help identify the
problem with not being able to connect from the Windows workstation to
this printer??

--
Jeff Vian
jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx