Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: August 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Weird ghost images in X (solved)

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Weird ghost images in X (solved)
From: Benjamin Bunck <bbunck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 19:23:06 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, David Carmichael wrote:

> My reply may seem off the wall if it was not true....
>
> The screen refresh has changed in the monitor due to a brown out or power
> spike.... this would cause the ghosting that you are seeing.
>
> On the monitor that I had that did this I had to reset the monitors refresh
> rate and to do this I had to (1) pull the power cable and let the monitor
> set for about 12+ hours {over night] then [2] while plugging back in the
> power cable, hold down two of the control buttons on the front panel of the
> 'DELL' brand monitor, This reset the monitor back to the factory settings
> and corrected the refresh rate and got ride of the ghosting.
>
> Of course the mileage of this suggestion and fix may not work for your brand
> of monitor(s).
>
> --David

Thats very odd.  I've never even heard of anything like that.  I'll bet
you had to dig through some manuals/tech support to figure that one out.

Well, nothing like that for my problem.  It turned out to be the video
card.  I just swapped cards and everything is back to normal (whew!).
Anymore shadows on my desktop, and I might as well be using OSX.
<rimshot>

Thanks Bruce and David for the suggestions,

Ben