Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: August 2002:
[linux-help] Weird ghost images in X

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Weird ghost images in X
From: Benjamin Bunck <bbunck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 10:03:17 -0500 (CDT)

This may not be linux related, but here goes:

I unlocked my screen this morning and open up an Xterm.  I then noticed
that this creates a horizontal "ghost".  That is, my black backgrounded
Xterm smears in the horizontal direction making my lighter colored desktop
wallpaper have a greyish tint along the same horizontal rows of pixels
used by the xterm.  I then saw that any other window-object has the same
effect, although its most noticable with Xterms.

I've noticed:

1.  It doesn't seem to be the monitor, since I borrowed an identical
monitor with exactly the same results.

2.  Magnetic interference is a possibility, but moving my computer to an
different location also had the same results.

I doublechecked my XF86Config, but no luck so far.  This seems like a
hardware problem since it just happened without my intervention, but
seeing as it isn't a monitor, that pretty much leaves only the video card.

Does anyone have any pointers, insight, or experience with something like
this?  I'd like a second opinion before I start looking for hardware.

Thanks,

Ben