Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: August 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Trying to find a decent video player for Red Hat Linux

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Trying to find a decent video player for Red Hat Linux
From: james <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 22:50:00 -0500

On Thursday 08 August 2002 09:26, you wrote:
> Hi guys,
>       After downloading a 1.5 gig file for Linux (Free Software Awards), I
> tried two movie players and they don't work.  I tried Xine, and it
> crashes after halfway through the awards.  GTV doesn't play at all, just
> makes a bunch of noise and locks up X.  It's something like
> fsf2002.vob.mpeg.  Don't tell me to use Windows, because for one thing I
> have Windows and two, I already tried it.  :)
> Anyway, looking for a good video play because Xine has bugs.
>
> Patrick

mplayer

plays almost all formats (2 common ones that aren't supported are sorenson v3
(no support) and real (some support, RTFM on that)
has no trouble with any avi, mpeg I have found. (even some rather broken
ones) (on x86, smaller set on non-x86, but runs well on arm and alpha)

oh, yeah, and it works on the Sharp Zaurus. mini-mini-howto for that can be
found at http://kirk.math.twsu.edu/family/james/mplayer.html.

If you have broken sound or not-so great X, RTFM or as the mplayer-users list
puts it "[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read
DOCS/bugreports.html]" bit more difficult than some players, as you pretty
much have to compile it from source (in this case a very good thing, as it
does some optimization at compile time)

James L.