Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: August 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Trying to find a decent video player for Red Hat Linux

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Trying to find a decent video player for Red Hat Linux
From: "gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman)" <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 11:41:47 -0500

I like avifile (check freshmeat, as i can't remember the url)...  it is able
to play AVI, DivX, MPEG, ASF, WMV, MOV, QT (non-Sorenson), etc, etc, etc,
etc...  I've found very few files it won't play, and those were only DivX
files (but MPlayer played them fine, so I didn't care)...  for many of the
formats, it uses OpenSource codecs, but it can also use windows dll's to
play some of the proprietary formats...  i've yet to experience a single
crash with it, as well!

also, for DVDs (incase you're interested), i've had good luck with ogle...
I'm anxious to try out oKle, the KDE frontend for ogle...

here at home, i keep avifile, MPlayer, and ogle on hand, so that if one
can't play the file, one of the other two can! :^ )

gLaNDix