Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: July 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Monitor's fuzzy. Please help, my eyes are corssing.

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Monitor's fuzzy. Please help, my eyes are corssing.
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 10:33:14 -0500

bruce wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 July 2002 12:46 am, you wrote:
>
>>I am one of those who is trying to learn Linux on my own and I am just
>>starting. I am having one problem I can't seem to find the fix for and have
>>never seen on any other computer befor. I am running Red Hat Linux 7.0 pro
>>and I am using a S3 Virge/DX video card with a NEC/Multisync 3D monitor.
>>The problem is that the screen is "fuzzy", kind of like it's out of focus
>>(yes I have cleaned the glass of the monitor ;P)
>>
>>I have also looked at the monitor on my M$ system and in the startup befor
>>it goes into the graphical overlay, it appears nice and clear under these
>>conditions. It only goes fuzzy when it gets into the graphical overlay.
>>(this is both kde and gnome)
>>John E. Moon

In addition to what Bruce mentions below you might also try (as root)
running Xconfigurator from the command line.
Sometimes the default X setup dosn't get it right and the screen just is
unbearable to look at.
I have had that happen, and when I ran the configurator and allowed it
to autodetect the devices and select everything automatically (except
the default screen resolution) it fixed the problems.

There have been many improvements in X and in the video drivers with the
advancements since RH 7.0 came out. It might also be helpful if you
upgraded to the latest release.

> John, I've never had this problem, but if I did, the first place I would look
> would be in the Monitor, Device, and Screen sections of /etc/X11/XF86Config.
> Start by doing a "man XF86Config" and try to get an idea of what it's all
> about.
>
> Make sure you know the horizontal and vertical frequency ranges of your
> monitor and check them with the values in XF86Config Monitor section.  Check
> the device section to see it has the correct graphic card info.  Look at the
> screen section for combinations of your monitor and graphics card and see
> what resolutions are shown (800x600 or 1024x768, etc.).
>
> Before you change any of the values in XF86Config, it would be wise to make a
> backup - cp /etc/X11/XF86Config /etc/X11/XF86Config.old so if you screw up
> something you can go back to fuzzy.
>
> Have you tried cntl-alt-+ where the plus is on the keypad?  This steps
> through the available resolutions.
>
> If you're not sure what resolutions you have, in KDE, use kruler.  Right
> click to adjust it.
>
> Good luck,
> bruce

Jeff Vian