Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: July 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Monitor's fuzzy. Please help, my eyes are corssing.

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Monitor's fuzzy. Please help, my eyes are corssing.
From: bruce <bbales@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 10:03:40 -0500

On Tuesday 30 July 2002 12:46 am, you wrote:
> I am one of those who is trying to learn Linux on my own and I am just
> starting. I am having one problem I can't seem to find the fix for and have
> never seen on any other computer befor. I am running Red Hat Linux 7.0 pro
> and I am using a S3 Virge/DX video card with a NEC/Multisync 3D monitor.
> The problem is that the screen is "fuzzy", kind of like it's out of focus
> (yes I have cleaned the glass of the monitor ;P)
>
> I have also looked at the monitor on my M$ system and in the startup befor
> it goes into the graphical overlay, it appears nice and clear under these
> conditions. It only goes fuzzy when it gets into the graphical overlay.
> (this is both kde and gnome)
> John E. Moon

John, I've never had this problem, but if I did, the first place I would look
would be in the Monitor, Device, and Screen sections of /etc/X11/XF86Config.
Start by doing a "man XF86Config" and try to get an idea of what it's all
about.

Make sure you know the horizontal and vertical frequency ranges of your
monitor and check them with the values in XF86Config Monitor section.  Check
the device section to see it has the correct graphic card info.  Look at the
screen section for combinations of your monitor and graphics card and see
what resolutions are shown (800x600 or 1024x768, etc.).

Before you change any of the values in XF86Config, it would be wise to make a
backup - cp /etc/X11/XF86Config /etc/X11/XF86Config.old so if you screw up
something you can go back to fuzzy.

Have you tried cntl-alt-+ where the plus is on the keypad?  This steps
through the available resolutions.

If you're not sure what resolutions you have, in KDE, use kruler.  Right
click to adjust it.

Good luck,
bruce