Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: July 2002:
[linux-help] Re: More Info on hardware

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: More Info on hardware
From: Nate Bargmann <n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 11:26:56 -0500

* John Heffington <john1982@xxxxxxx> [2002 Jul 16 11:00 -0500]:
> Hey, thanks for the replies, here is some more info on my hardware.
>
> I think that about sums things up on my laptop. I did go to that laptop site
> Nate Bargmann mentioned, unfortuneatley they did not have my laptop. About my
> screen Horizontal and Vertical numbers, how would I find that info for a LCD
> screen, windows XP just tells me 60 Hertz refresh rate. BTW, my HDD is FAT32.
> I have reinstalled Windows a few times when trying to get linux mandrake to
> work.

Hmmmm.

I've only performed a couple of laptop installs, IBM 760s.  I don't
think that refresh rates are required for LCD screens as they are
persistent.  It appears your system uses the S3 chip and it would
probably be most helpful if the exact chipset could be identified.
Which version of Mandrake have you tried?  I'm not familiar with it
since I use Debian myself.  As a result I've always started with a text
install and gotten X working later after I had examined the system.

So Redhat may be useful to you if you can get a basic system working and
then use the X configuration utilities to get X working later.  After
that you can attack sound, networking, and whatever else.

- Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "We have awakened a
 Internet | n0nb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx               | sleeping giant and