Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: May 2002:
[linux-help] Samba printing

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Samba printing
From: Leland Weathers <leland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 04 May 2002 23:04:41 -0700

I am having problems setting up printing over Samba.  I have a Windows
XP Professional client that can read other shares off of the linux
server (running Mandrake 8.2 with Samba 2.2.3a).  'smbclient -L
localhost' lists the Printer as a service and testprns says the Printer
name 'Printer' is valid.  I can see the printer in the Workgroup as a
service, but when I try and open the printer it says "Access denied,
unable to connect".  If I send a file to the 'Printer' from Windows, it
does not print, but I get a file /var/spool/cups/c000* (which is NOT the
file I am trying to print).  I have included the short version of the
smb.conf as given by SWAT.  The full smb.conf and a copy of the c000*
file, can be found at ftp.lcweathers.net, if needed.

Thanks in advance,
Leland

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2002/05/04 22:49:35

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = HOME
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        log level = 2
        syslog = 2
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        printcap name = lpstat
        preferred master = False
        domain master = False
        dns proxy = No
        wins support = Yes
        invalid users = root sys uucp bin daemon adm sync shutdown halt mail
news operator gopher
        hosts allow = 192.168.1. 127.
        printing = cups

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        guest account = ftp
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No

[homes]
        read only = No
        veto files = Desktop/Mail/evolution/GNUstep/
        browseable = No

[Printer]
        comment = Canon BJC-6000
        path = /var/spool/samba