Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: May 2002:
[linux-help] Virus!

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Virus!
From: root <kryste01@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 16:02:51 -0700

Hello.

I know you are saying, "Virus?"

"UNIX-based systems can't get those!""

Let me explain.

I run MS Windows 2000 on the first partition of my main hard disk.

I have my Linux partitions, /, swap, etc (etectera, not /etc), on the rest of
the main hard disk.

I recently got a boot sector virus off the Net and can no longer boot to
Windows.  I can run Linux (RedHat 7.2) fine because I boot from LILO on a
3.5-inch disk.

Can anyone recommend a way to try to fix the boot sector virus?  All my virus
scanning software is Windows-based, and the on-line virus scanners I've been
able to find here on the Web (from KDE) are also MS-Based or want me to have
Internet Explorer.

I thought about installing WINE and trying to run a virus scanner from there,
but I have no idea how to install WINE, and I have my doubts that that would
be a sucessful solution, anyway.

If anyone can help me solve this one I'll build a shrine in your honor.

Adam S.