Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: March 2002:
[linux-help] Re: KOnCD and ATAPI burner / KOnCD und ATAPI Brenner

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: KOnCD and ATAPI burner / KOnCD und ATAPI Brenner
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 20:27:21 -0600

Denis Medvedev wrote:

> --- Roland Mayer-Bachmann
> <roland.mayer-bachmann@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> > is there someone who can help in solving the
> > following burner problem?
> > The SCSI Emulator is installed, the burner is
> > realized, and also the=20
> > Image File is written.
> > But when writing the CD KOnCD creates an error
> > protocol!??
> What us KOnCD?
>
> Looking to your protocol I can see that you are trying
> write that on a CDR, but system is trying to blank it!
> Try buying an ordinary 700-MB CD-RW and repeat the
> procedure.
>                         Sincerely.
>                         Denis Medvedev

The system is trying to blank it because you are telling it to format
(blank) the cdr disk.
try removing the options that tell it to format.  A CDR disk cannot be
formatted.

See the notes below on how to identify the problem.

I use a simple command with cdrecord to burn an image file

     cdrecord -v -eject dev=0,0,0 speed=12 iso.filename

This burns the cd, telling me the progress, and ejects the cd when done.
speed is the max speed my cd-rw is capable of as a burner and is what i
have tested it as burning well at the current system load.
iso.filename is the name of the image file being burned.

-----------snipped-----------------------------

> > Driver flags   : SWABAUDIO
> > Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R
> > RAW/R96R
> > FIFO size      : 4194304 =3D 4096 KB
> >
> > Track 01: data    1 MB       =20
> > Total size:       1 MB (00:11.33) =3D 850 sectors
> > Lout start:       2 MB (00:13/25) =3D 850 sectors
> > Current Secsize: 2048
> > ATIP info from disk:
> >   Indicated writing power: 5
> >   Is not unrestricted
> >   Is not erasable

This tells you it cannot be erased

--------------snipped--------------------

> >           0 seconds. Operation starts.
> > Waiting for reader process to fill input buffer ...
> > input buffer ready.
> > Blanking PMA, TOC, pregap
> >
> > cdrecord: Input/output error. blank unit: scsi
> > sendcmd: no error
> > CDB:  A1 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
> > status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
> > Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0C 00 00 00 00 30
> > 00 00 00
> > Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
> > Sense Code: 0x30 Qual 0x00 (incompatible medium
> > installed) Fru 0x0
> > Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
> > cmd finished after 0.000s timeout 9600s
> > cdrecord: Cannot blank disk, aborting.