Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: February 2002:
[linux-help] Error messages on boot

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Error messages on boot
From: bbales <bbales@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 23:34:40 -0600

On bootup of my RH 7.2 system, I get the following message:
303 segmentation fault: /etc/rc.sysinit   line 741
      mv /var/log/ksyms.$i  /var/log/ksyms.$(($i+1))

The message is repeated 5 times, with leading numbers 304 through 308.

Line 741 in rc.sysinit is:      } &
The matching { is on line 658.

Lines 722 through 729 (below) seem to tell the computer to store kernel
symbols six times in ksyms.? in var log

# Also keep kernel symbols around in case we need them for debugging
i=5
while [ $i -ge 0 ] ; do
        if [ -f /var/log/ksyms.$i ] ; then
                mv /var/log/ksyms.$i /var/log/ksyms.$(($i+1))
        fi
done

I have seven copies of ksyms.? in /var/log, dated approximately the last
seven times I booted.  Each is 49,845 bytes long and mostly contain a huge
list of kernel symbols.

As far as I can tell everything is working correctly, but wonder what the
segmentation fault warning means and why rc.sysinit wants to store the kernel
symbols six times.  Or is something buggy here?

Any ideas?
bruce