Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: February 2002:
[linux-help] Re: dev/fd0

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: dev/fd0
From: james l <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 23:51:45 -0600

On Sunday 24 February 2002 23:05, you wrote:
> I am running Mandrake 8.1 on one of my systems and I've had a weird thing
> happen. After installing the desktop floppy will not open the floppy for
> viewing. It shows that floppy device is present and the entry is in fstab
> as I alway have it going to /mnt and clicking on floppy doesn't work
> either. What do I need to do to get it reconized. I've never had this
> happen with the floppy before. Thanks.

My first guess is a bad floppy. could be other things, though.

Try this:
As root at a console (text-mode, so the kernel's error messages can be seen,
or use dmesg)

mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

if that doesn't work (check the filesystem, if you aren't using vfat), check
error messages from the kernel.
and then try

dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/dev/null

check the error messages again.

If it prints out an error at sector 0, the floppy drive likely isn't pluged
in. some other number is likely due to bad sectors. If no errors, it is
likely your gnome/kde configuration.

James L

if you could post the output of any errors, I might be able to help more.