Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: February 2002:
[linux-help] Re: FW: Linux help

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: angela6965@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Subject: [linux-help] Re: FW: Linux help
From: james l <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 23:20:57 -0600

On Sunday 10 February 2002 22:37, you wrote:
> When upgrading RedHat (from 6.0 to 7.2), does upgrading (writing over
> existing) installation well?  Or do people recommend backing up all the
> docs and do clean install?

According to people on the list (I included all the messages because I am not
sure everyone CCed you.), and my personal opinion that upgrading would be a
good idea. If you upgrade or reinstall, I would STRONGLY STRONGLY reccomend
that you back up your data, before proceding.

If you use LILO, the standard for 6.x series you can pass it the option
init=/bin/bash

so assuming your image name is linux (hit tab to confirm) type:
linux init=/bin/bash
then after it starts up type
passwd
and it should allow you to reset the root password.

James L.