Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: February 2002:
[linux-help] Re: FW: Linux help

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: FW: Linux help
From: Randy Reames <randy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 22:45:46 -0600

A short while ago Koji Hayakawa wrote:

> When upgrading RedHat (from 6.0 to 7.2), does upgrading (writing over
> existing) installation well?  Or do people recommend backing up all the docs
> and do clean install?

I haven't done a RedHat upgrade in quite some time. I have been using
Debian for the past couple years which an upgrade is just an apt-get
away. Probably for such a large jump I would back up your important
files and do a fresh install. There are many new features in RH 7.2, such
as ext2, 2.4 kernel, ipchains config during the install, the fancy
graphical instaler, and the new Gnome, Ximain is very nice too.
I have installed it on my laptop to fiddle with and also on a new DNS
server and email server back up at work.

I still prefer Debain, but companies like the RedHat name. 8)

RR

--
Randy Reames   randy@xxxxxxxxxx   www.reames.org   ICQ-115274915
Web Developer  Midwest Energy   www.mwenergy.com   Hays, KS, USA