Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: January 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Linux programs wanted.

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Linux programs wanted.
From: "gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman)" <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 23:15:00 -0600

On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 09:M pm, you wrote:

> for storing and editing your address book. I think there is a
> database that you can install, which handles the Access

i believe it's something like abadabas or something like that (i probably
have to many aba or daba's : ^ )

> If you are interested, I'd suggest downloading the StarOffice6.0 beta
> from Sun's site, but I just discovered it is no longer available.

damn, that sux! : ^ (  I may have a copy laying around, but i make no
promises..  i'll make it available if i do...

> I've used build 638 as well as the StarOffice 6.0 beta (built on the
> same source code), and I'm quite impressed. I use it at work, and
> haven't had to resort to the "real" office since I've started using
> the Star Office beta.

have you had success opening Word2k and WordXP documents?  I haven't tried
anything since the 6.0beta (ie: I haven't tried the latest OO builds), but I
wasn't very successful...

> I'm also impressed with Ximian's evolution (ximian.org) . I've never
> used Outlook, but evolution is a good replacement, including
> addressbook, calendar, and a mail client. I don't think you can
> export your addressbook for printing labels, however, and the program
> seems a little slow at times.

from what I remember of Outlook97/98 it seems very similar...  I'd use it
myself, except for the last thing you mention: speed...  (granted, i have an
older PC)...  I haven't tried, but I would imagine that Evolution might have
a basic addressbook export (ie: a simple CSV file atleast) that you could
probably import into something else to print..  granted, it's not ideal...

> Check out Kapital, from TheKompany (TheKompany.com). I've not tried
> it, but it is apparently a robust, commercial replacement for Quicken
> on Linux. It is compatible with Quicken's file format, too.

isn't Kapital free only for a certain time period or does it have certain
features disabled?  it's released under a proprietary license and is
available for purchase (i assume at a minimal cost compared to MS Money).  In
my opinion, if you want to use a very nice Qt/KDE-based checkbook program,
try out KMyMoney2...  it's been very reliable for me and is fairly
minimalistic (tho' more feature-full than cbb).  It also features
auto-complete entries (similar to CBB and GNUcash) that are very nice, and of
course a "Reconciliation/Balancing" function that works very similar to
Money98...

> There is another I can't remember. Perhaps it was GnuCash, which
> someone already mentioned.

yup, GNUcash and gnofin are two others...  GNUcash is really nice and very
similar to Money, but it's BLOATED...  sure you can create reports and graphs
if that floats your boat (pointless to a financial idiot like me)...  both
KMyMoney2 and GNUcash support QIF import, but only KMyMoney2 supports QIF
export (be forwarned: GNUcash only allows exporting of GNUcash formatted
files...  if you import a QIF into GNUcash, keep the QIF around or else you
get to re-do all your entries like i have been doing!: ^ (

gLaNDix