Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: January 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Linux programs wanted.

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Linux programs wanted.
From: John Reinke <jmreinke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 21:54:18 -0600

>Anyone know if there is a good address book for Linux that has a few
>whistles and bells such as print envelopes and lablels? Most I have seen
>don't seem to have those features or I have missed them.

Star Office will print labels as well as business cards. You can
import an address book, but I don't know if it has a "real" component
for storing and editing your address book. I think there is a
database that you can install, which handles the Access
functionality. It has a list of labels to choose from, including the
standard Avery numbers.

If you are interested, I'd suggest downloading the StarOffice6.0 beta
from Sun's site, but I just discovered it is no longer available. The
next best thing would be to get the most recent build from the
OpenOffice web site (openoffice.org), which currently appears to be
build number 641c.

I've used build 638 as well as the StarOffice 6.0 beta (built on the
same source code), and I'm quite impressed. I use it at work, and
haven't had to resort to the "real" office since I've started using
the Star Office beta.

I'm also impressed with Ximian's evolution (ximian.org) . I've never
used Outlook, but evolution is a good replacement, including
addressbook, calendar, and a mail client. I don't think you can
export your addressbook for printing labels, however, and the program
seems a little slow at times.

>Another program I'm looking for is a good checkbook with the balancing
>feature.

Check out Kapital, from TheKompany (TheKompany.com). I've not tried
it, but it is apparently a robust, commercial replacement for Quicken
on Linux. It is compatible with Quicken's file format, too.

There is another I can't remember. Perhaps it was GnuCash, which
someone already mentioned.

Have fun,
John