Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: January 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Low Memory strategies....

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Low Memory strategies....
From: "James O. Harms" <joharms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 10:32:50 -0600

Lars von dem Ast wrote:

> I have a memory-weak laptop: 32 mg RAM. I loaded RH7.2 with KDE and it could
> barely crawl, hardly able to open an app. Can I still use 7.2, but with a
> less demanding windows manager? 7.2 seems to only give you the choice of
> Gnome or KDE. What about another lighter manager on 7.2; they don't seem to
> be offered on 7.2.
>
> Lb

As Randy already suggested, use a lite-weight WM like Ice (www.icewm.org).  It
can be set up to utilize KDE programs.  I would question the wisdom of trying
to run RH7.2 in 32 megs memory.  Use something that can have its parts pared
away more readily, like Slackware.  Better yet, use something like Peanut 8.4
(www.ibiblio.org/peanut), which is built from Slackware, and is already
somewhat pre-pared.
--joh