Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: January 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Low Memory strategies....

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Low Memory strategies....
From: Randy Reames <randy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 09:34:12 -0600

Some time ago Lars von dem Ast wrote:

> I have a memory-weak laptop: 32 mg RAM. I loaded RH7.2 with KDE and it could
> barely crawl, hardly able to open an app. Can I still use 7.2, but with a
> less demanding windows manager? 7.2 seems to only give you the choice of
> Gnome or KDE. What about another lighter manager on 7.2; they don't seem to
> be offered on 7.2.
>
> Lb

You could go with something like IceWM or fvmw2. I have an older laptop
150mhz and 80mg ram. I use RH 7.1, IceWM and Opera web browser and I still have
free ram. You may want to also do a very picky OS install. RH wanted to
use over a gig of my two gig hard drive just for the install. Just go
thru and pick each package you want to install.

Good Luck,

Randy

--
Randy Reames        randy@xxxxxxxxxx        www.reames.org