Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: November 2001:
[linux-help] Re: IP Masquerading Needed?

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: IP Masquerading Needed?
From: adithya <adithya111@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 07:35:19 +0600

HI ,
what you should do is this You have to masqurade from the linux box
assuming that your NIC on the win  box is 192.168.10.2 I would say you
have to add this rule to the linux box.Your NIC on the linux box that has
192.168... range is assumed to be eth1

 ipchains -A forword -i eth1 -s 192.168.10.0/255.255.255.0 -d
!192.168.10.0/255.255.255.0 -j MASQ This is if a packet is comming to the linux
box which is not going for the internel addres it should go out.
I have not test this rule my self so include it and see and the other thing is
once you reboot this will get erased there for if this works you should add this
to a script and include the script to run at start up.

On Sun, 18 Nov 2001, you wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 17, 2001 at 03:39:04PM -0600, Lars von dem Ast wrote:
> >
> > I've got a Linux box and a Win box. The Linux box is going to be my Web
> > server and the Win box just for Dreamweaver, IE etc. The Linux box is
> > connected via DSL to World. The Linux box has two NIC cards, and I've got
> > them working: one is dedicated to the DSL and the other can talk to the Win
> > box with a ping and ssh, etc. The DSL card has the IP of the ISP, and the
> > other card is 192.168.10.1
> >
> > Q: If I want the Win box to see the Internet via the DSL connection, I need
> > to set up IP masquerading, right? Or have I missed something entirely?
>

> A: You are correct.
>
> Steve
Sudharsha Wijesinghe.
Customer relationship officer.