Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: October 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Linux compatible ISP

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Linux compatible ISP
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 11:32:23 -0500

The problem is not with your ISP, but with your mail configuration.  It
sounds like either your mail client is sending the wrong From: address in
your mail (a common problem in some Linux configurations), or your To:
address is just incorrect (as Steve Saner seemed to be leading to).

In the case of a bad From: address, the problem can be that your mail client
is setting your address to <username>@<hostname>, where hostname is the name
you've given to your local computer and/or network.  In most cases, this is
not what your ISP thinks your email address is (in fact, in almost all cases
your host/network name and actual email address should NOT be the same).  I
don't know how Kmail works, so this problem may not apply to Kmail.  It will
often apply if using "standard" Unix-style mail programs with a POP3 account
(Pine, mutt, elm, etc)

Otherwise, verify that all your settings (in particular your To: and From;
email addresses) are correct.  You may need to delete any unsent outgoing
mails and resend them for some of these changes to take effect (again, this
can be dependant on the mail client, and I don't know how kmail works).

Let me say again that the problem you're having is not actually a technical
problem with your ISP. But, if you are still interested in exploring the
possibility of another ISP, perhaps one that provides better technical
_support_ for Linux, I can suggest either Future Internet Services
(www.futureks.net), which I operate, or iWichita (www.iwichita.com), which
Steve Saner works for--I suspect they can provide good Linux technical
support as well (Steve I'm sure can shed more light on this).  There are
likely other ISPs in Wichita that also offer Linux technical
support--perhaps others on the list can make some recommendations.