Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: October 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Linux compatible ISP

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Linux compatible ISP
From: Steven Saner <ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 09:33:37 -0500

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 08:31:55AM -0500, Marc Bachman wrote:

> Dear All- I am having a problem with small ISPs who claim to be Linux
> compatible, but aren't .  The problem is when I try to send mail using
> Kmail, I get the 550: User unknown, which makes no sense to me because
> the same user/password has worked fine for the POP logon in both
> instances.  I see that Kmail sends the following commands during the
> logon: HELO, MAIL and RCPT.  As I mentioned,  the messages are not sent,
> but the server returns the 550 error. I can use Netscape  4.7 to send
> mail although not very consistently, the server complains when I try to
> send mail .  Any ideas about a local provider?

Is the 550 error and error that your Kmail client gives you (like in
the form of a pop-up window or something), or is it a bounce back
message that you receive shortly after sending the message? Are you
unable to send email to anyone, or just to certain addresses? What
error message does Netscape give you when you try to send mail? It
seems that you have access to a list of SMTP commands from Kmail, can
you send a complete log of an attempted connection from Kmail (or
Netscape)?

Steve