Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: October 2001:
[linux-help] Re: multiple domains.

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: multiple domains.
From: Steven Saner <ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 13:32:24 -0500

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 09:43:30PM +0530, sudharsha wrote:

> thanks Steve.
> What you mean to say is that I have to add eng.star.lk and acc.star.lk to
> /etc/etc/local-host-names file and also to put eng.star.lk and acc.star.lk
> in the sendmail.cw file.

Actually local-host-names and sendmail.cw are the same
thing. sendmail.cw is the "older" way of doing things, but its fine if
that is what you are using.

> and also if I am using the send mail access feature to put
> eng.star.lk RELAY
> acc.star.lk RELAY in the
> access file.?
> So do I have to setup my subdomains in bind and do I have to put
> an MX record for each eng.star.lk and acc.star.lk subdomains.?
> Acctually my requirement is to have users such as user@xxxxxxx and
> user@xxxxxxxxxxx and also user@xxxxxxxxxxx in the same mail server and
> to have www.star.lk and www.eng.star.lk and also www.acc.star.lk in another
> machine which will act as the webserver.
> Thanks in advance.
> Sudharsha.

Yes, you will need to have MX records for each subdomain. It is fine
to point the MX records for the domains to one box and a www A record
to another box.

One question. You say that you want to have users such as:
user@domain1, user@domain2, etc. Are the following email addresses
abc@domain1, abc@domain2, and abc@domain3 all aliases for the same
user, with a username of abc on the mail server box? If so then this
should all work. If not, then you are going to have to do more
work. Look at the recent thread in the aclug archives regarding email
for virtual domains.

Steve