Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: September 2001:
[linux-help] Re: How can I use floppy tape ?

To: <linux-help@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [linux-help] Re: How can I use floppy tape ?
From: Carl D Cravens <raven@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 14:18:16 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 20 Sep 2001, Xiuming Wang wrote:

> I have a DDS-4 SCSI  tape drive on Dell workstation with 2 CPU 933Mhz
> and 2 GB MEM.    I don't know how to use it under redhat Linux 7.1.  Can
> any body give me any information on this issue?   I don't know the
> device name, such as for floppy disk , it is  /dev/fd0...

If it's SCSI, it's not a a "floppy" tape... floppy tape drives run off a
floppy drive controller, IDE tape drives run off an IDE controller, and
SCSI tape drives run off a SCSI controller.

So the ftape drivers aren't going to work... you need a SCSI tape driver.
If you already have SCSI support installed in the kernel, I believe you
already have what you need.  As someone else has pointed out, /dev/st* is
the device you're looking for.

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/SCSI-2.4-HOWTO/index.html

--
Carl D Cravens (raven@xxxxxxxxxxx)
Donate to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund.