Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: September 2001:
[linux-help] Network help

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Network help
From: Wayne White <WWHITE1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 07:56:57 -0500

I have Mandrake 8.0 running on an HP laptop. I built and installed
the drivers for an Orinoco wireless PCMCIA card and it seems to
be working correctly. I had to install pump, because there was no
dhcp client installed with the distro.

Last night I tried to connect to the network at Friends without success.
Upon issuing the command ifup eth0, the lights on the card flashed,
the command line returned the message that the IP information
was being determined and all seemed right with the world.

No, it wasn't. The attempt to get an IP failed. I am guessing that the
net work is NT based. Is there something I'm missing that is keeping
me from joining the network.

Once I become a node, I'll work on figuring out how to log onto the
network to access things there. I'm guessing that the Samba client
will be needed for that, but I think it is already installed. Any ideas
on this would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

wayne