Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: September 2001:
[linux-help] Re: Network help

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Network help
From: Steven Saner <ssaner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 14:54:20 -0500

On Fri, Sep 21, 2001 at 02:26:40PM -0500, Wayne White wrote:

> At 09:30 AM 9/21/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >Are you sure that there is a DHCP server running someplace on the
> >network that you are trying to connect the laptop to? Does that
> >DHCP server have any logs, and do they show any DHCPREQUEST messages
> >comming from you?
>
> Well, I think that there is a dhcp server running. When I connect in windows
> it assigns an IP for my laptop. Then once that's done, I can log onto the
> network.
>
> I don't know about server logs. They're not particularly friendly about
> helping
> anyone do anything other than the usual. I wouldn't expect any assistance
> from them with this. I'll check with them and see if they are interested in
> helping.
>
> There are two of us that use Linux in the MMIS program that just started.
> That leaves 28 others that we would like to expose to Linux. I am wanting
> to use my laptop to serve web pages during class. I anticipate that there
> will be many other opportunities to spread the word over the next two
> years.
>
> Steven, in windows the connection to the network seems to be a separate
> operation from logging on to the network. Would Linux behave the same
> way or would it all happen at once. In other words, does the dhcp client
> try to log you on at the same time that it tries to get an IP assigned? I'm
> pretty sure that I have all of the network, user name and password stuff
> set up correctly, but if it wants to do it all at once, I would recheck it
> because everything else seems okay.
>
> Thank you for trying to help. I appreciate it.

Okay, well, it sounds like you have some confirmation that DHCP does
work on the network (it works with Windows). The next thing I would
try to do is try see if DHCP works on your laptop in a more controlled
environment. Set up a DHCP server on a different machine and see if
your laptop works. It could just be a private network with private IP
addresses.

I'm afraid I don't know enough about Windows networking to be able to
answer your other questions. Getting an IP address from the DHCP
server is your first goal. Once that is accomplished then you can try
to get the other stuff to work.

Steve