Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: September 2001:
[linux-help] HD trouble

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] HD trouble
From: Nathan <ncozzens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 21:30:01 -0600

Hello,

Here's a posting that describes almost exactly what I
was dealing with.  It says it's "highly deadly" if you
follow the thread.
http://uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0103.3/0969.html

I ended up going to runlevel 1, unmounting hda3 & hda4
(the ones that were having the trouble), and running
"e2fsck -cv".  I'm assuming/hoping this will store the
bad blocks so the file system won't use them anymore.

Here's another URL I found that talks about bad blocks
more in-depth.
http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue37/tag/39.html
When I installed Debian, I skipped the badblock
scan....evidently a bad move.  Now I'm just wondering
if I should be concerned about my HD.  I'm still
thinking about that strange whistle it let out when
this all started.

Does anyone know how I can "refresh" my
installation?  I want to be sure everything is still
good to go.  There were some files partially stored in
bad blocks.  I don't know if they were recovered.

Thanks,
Nate